To develop a comprehensive plan targeting at risk youth that coordinates youth services, training and work-based learning while monitoring outcomes to measure effectiveness.
The Youth Workforce Development Council is required by law and must include Workforce Investment Board members with particular interest or expertise in youth in additions to “off Board” representation for areas such as: juvenile justice and law enforcement, public housing authorities, youth service agencies and parents of eligible youth.
The Youth Workforce Development Council is responsible for helping with the development of those portions of the local plan which pertain to youth recommending to the Workforce Investment Board priorities of youth services paid with Workforce Investment Act Title I funds and coordinating oversight of youth program activities.
As a subgroup within each Local Board, a Youth Workforce Development Council must be appointed by the Local Board, in cooperation with the chief elected official(s) for the local area.
DUTIES OF THE YOUTH COUNCIL
- The Youth Council shall develop the portions of the local plan relating to eligible youth, as determined by the chairperson of the Local Board.
- The Youth Council shall recommend eligible providers of youth activities to the Local Board to be awarded grants or contracts on a competitive basis to carry out the youth activities.
- The Youth Council shall conduct oversight with respect to the eligible providers of youth activities in the local area.
- The Youth Council shall coordinate youth activities in the local area.
- The Youth Council shall perform other duties determined to be appropriate by the chairperson of the Local Board.